In honor of the upcoming Easter holiday, Food/Science offers a science-tastic and marshmallow-riffic celebration of Easter candy offerings!
First, let's start off with a handful of Peepy-links:
- Peep Research - science approved!
- Serious Eats' Street Vendor Peep Diorama
- Peep Microwave Disaster
- WaPo's Annual Peep Diorama Contest
- Peeps Krispies Treats (recipe)
- Peep Sushi (Peepshi)
- DIY Peeps
- Easter Egg Layer Cake
- Chipotle deviled eggs (for dyeing leftovers!)
- For a Polish Easter, you might like Easter Babka and kielbasa
- My favorite as a kid: Roast Leg of Lamb
Finally, if you still have room after your brunch, Easter meats, and tons of colored eggs, I will gift you with this recipe for the Ultimate Easter Sammitch:
The Peepernutter S'more Sandwich:
1 hollow chocolate bunny
2-3 marshmallow Peeps
2 slices of white bread
peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- Cut Peeps in half lengthwise and arrange in a single layer on one slice of bread.
- Spread peanut butter on other slice of bread.
- Chop or crush chocolate bunny into small chunks and sprinkle evenly over peanut butter. Gently press them into the peanut butter so they stick.
- Assemble the sandwich by placing the peanut butter and chocolate topped bread over the Peep topped bread.
- Heat in toaster oven, sandwich press, or George Foreman grill until bread is golden brown and peeps and chocolate are soft. Alternatively, you can melt a little butter in a nonstick skillet and heat the sandwich for 1-2 minutes per side (a la grilled cheese) for a similar result.
- Enjoy your sugar rush!